12 February 2008

Reflection...

Other than getting to know people, life is pretty dull.
Our CTI, which is training, is very boring.
A lot of useless information being beaten into our heads.
For instance, today...we sat through a whole day of Drugs, Alcohol, & Sex Ed.
Nothing like a good refresher of high school health...
But I can't emphasize how amazing the people are here.
It is so refreshing to know that I am a part of a bigger picture.
The fact that I know everyone is here for similar reasons to my own...
Makes me feel like I'm on the right path, and that the world isn't as disturbed as I sometimes feel...
It gives me hope for the future...
I despise that my generation is looked at in a bad light.
Like we are all about ourselves and don't care.
Because this program is made up of all 18 - 24 year olds!
All here for the common good of the community!
BEAUTIFUL:) simply said...
Today was exciting for me...
We figured out what our first projects were going to be.
On the 7th of March, I will be traveling to St. Bernard's Parish in Louisianna.
It's 20 minutes away from New Orleans.
We'll be working with volunteers to build houses.
It's kind of scary considering that I know little to nothing about construction.
I've helped in construction...but I feel like I'm just going to thrown into something.
I just hope that these houses I build don't fall down a couple years from now.
It's insane to think about what I'm going to be seeing when I get there..
And to imagine the devastation that occured during the storm.
And even 2 years later!
I sit here and wonder how many times I'm going to cry...
How many times I'm going to be able to hand keys over to a family who has lived in a FEMA trailer for two years...
How beautiful it will be to feel the appreciation these people will have for our hardwork, sweat, and there are sure to be tears...
I know there are a select few who don't understand why I've gone about doing this...
But I hope once I share my stories,
You will slowly realize the depth of my decesion.

No comments: